chaplin

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Apiary Japery

An old friend rang me up yesterday to pass on this story:
There's a man browsing in a record shop when he comes across a record called "The Sound Of Wasps".
He takes it to the counter and says "I'm one of the country's foremost authorities on wasps and I'd like to hear some of this if possible."
The manager says "fine" and puts it on track one.
"Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz," goes the record.
The man listens for a bit, shakes his head and then says "can you put the next track on, please?"
The next track also goes "buzzzzzzzzzzzzz", albeit in a slightly different key.
The man shakes his head again. "I'm sorry, but to my trained ears they don't sound like wasps."
The manager looks at the record and then flips it over.
"I' do apologise. I was playing the bee side."

5 comments:

  1. Cue middle-aged chuntering about how Kids These Days don't even know what a B-side is what with their Nintendos and their Hip-Hops and their DJing and, oh! hang on....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic; all I need to do is to explain the a - b side situation to my young daughter, then I can tell the joke. She'd find it funny anyway, with the b-buzz theme.

    In return here's a couple of her current favourites:

    "Knock, knock"
    "who's there?"
    "lamp-post"
    "lamp-post who?"
    "lamp-post Mummy reversed into one!" [she did].

    Or perhaps you prefer;
    "Why did the chicken cross the road?"
    "Don't know - why did the chicken cross the road?"
    "To get to the other side - but, halfway across it stopped for a cigarette and went on it's mobile and got run over!"

    Both play to gales of laughter from the 6 year old contingent here. The mother scowles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (a literary joke)

    "My dog's got no dictionary."

    "How does it spell awful?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah, the old ones are the best.

    ReplyDelete