chaplin

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Avoid at all costs


Last night I managed to clear the teenagers out of the room and get the TV to myself for long enough to watch "Black Book". I dearly wish I hadn't bothered. What a stupendously vulgar piece of tosh, like "Charlotte Gray" crossed with "Where Eagles Dare" with shades of Visconti's "The Damned", if you can imagine such a thing.
All the usual clichés were in evidence: the microphone hidden behind the picture of the Nazi leader, the glamorous girls in stockings and suspenders pouring champagne down the throats of fat SS men, whole platoons of soldiers bursting into small rooms and letting fly with sub-machine guns, the hostages who are always about to be shot at dawn, the nice handsome German who lost his family in an air raid, resistance fighters in leather jackets and a Jewish girl who dyes her hair Jean Harlow blonde.
Avoid.

2 comments:

  1. That's spooky. I had Black Book delivered from my DVD club yesterday, and was about to slip it in right now when I read this post. Thank God! I shall now watch Black Books instead and see Bill Bailey choke on a small book instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to think I spoiled your evening but the one thing I increasingly resent is having my time wasted by anyone other than myself.

    ReplyDelete